Tuesday 11 August 2015

Harvest 2015 Part 2

There has been quite a lot of activity in the fields round us over the past couple of days,  including some night harvesting. Given the less than seasonal weather we seem to be caught up in, I can only suppose that the farmers are using every spare moment to being the harvest in on a dry day.

We have observed some interesting differences in how straw is baled and I am sure there is some logic behind that. The choice seems to be between the classic cuboid, tied with twine, and the large roll bound with industrial strength clingfilm. But why the difference? I can see I am going to have to do some research.

There are still lots of fields around us that have not been harvested yet. Most of these seem to be wheat crops, so it will be interesting to see when they are harvested. The grain looks a good golden colour, but I am sure there is more to when to harvest than colour. Watch this space for the 'when'

No comments: